Tuesday, January 4, 2005

Mama

My mama, that is.

Today is my mother's 60th birthday. (Happy Birthday!)

I never used to write the word "mama" like that. I would refer to mom as "mom", "mommy" "mother" but never "mama".

But now, I have a baby. And she calls me mama. And I love her more than life itself. And now "mama" is the sweetest thing I ever hear, and now it's what I call my mama.

There is no higher compliment, no higher honor than being a mama (other than being a child of God, of course.)

There are so many things that you just don't "get" before having children of your own. Like how hard it will be. Like how you CAN function on 50% less sleep than you ever had before. Like how you find more joy in staring at your sleeping baby than in anything else in the whole entire world. Like how you worry about how evil the world is in ways that never crossed your mind. Like how your heart swells with pride when they laugh for the first time, learn to crawl, start "reading" books to themselves, play peekaboo, give you an unsolicited hug or kiss, or take their first steps.

But you know what I *really* did not comprehend until I held this child of mine in my arms?

How much my mama treasures me. With all her heart and soul. With all that she has. I know her dreams for me. I know her joy over me. I know her fears for me.

I know how much she loves me.

Mom - I treasure you now more than ever.

You are truly one of strongest most loving people that God has blessed my life with.

Thank you for loving me. Thank you for teaching me how to love my family. Thank you for teaching me how to be a mama - I can only hope to be as good as you.

I love you!

Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

rowena___. said...

julie, you said so well exactly how it is with me and my mama. what a blessing that you have your dear mama, and that she has YOU!