"Tell us about your Holiday Traditions:"
As a child i remember:
Decorating the tree while drinking hot chocolate and listening to the chipmunk song over and over.
Baking cookies with mom (a tradition we have kept going!)
Opening ONE present on Christmas Eve and the rest of the presents on Christmas morning - (as in MORNING - we couldn't ever sleep past 4 am and woke up the parents begging to open presents.)
Santa was not a part of our tradition. (We knew who and where the presents came from but I must say, it was magical and exciting none the less to wake up and see a room full of gifts!!!) My parents tried very hard to keep us focused on the reason for the celebration and for them, that meant focusing on Jesus and not Santa.
We usually "adopted" a family and spent part of Christmas day delivering gifts.
Many years we traveled to FLA to see my grandparents and spent more than one Christmas at Disneyworld. (The BEST time to go!!! No lines for the rides on Christmas Day!!)
As I got older, I would go to midnight masses or services with friends and this is one of my favorite traditions.
I love lighting a candle and singing a hymn and having the whole sanctuary be lit by the collective light of the congregation. And then leaving and it's Christmas Morning!!! The Christmas Bruce and I were engaged, we went to Christ Church (FABULOUS SERVICE!!!) and when we came out there was a light dusting of snow and the most perfectly wonderful snowflakes falling - Not enough to mess up the drive home - Just enough to be beautiful and last in my head forever and ever.
What we're hoping to do with our family now:
It will be quite a while before we'll be able to do the Midnight Christmas Eve Service but I'm looking forward to it! I love seeing all the kiddies there in their jammies!!! (Even before I was married or even engaged I remembered thinking "This will be such a special thing to do with my children!")
This year we will be going somewhere close for an earlier service. And I love that Christmas falls on a Sunday this year - We'll be in Church Sunday AM and then go to my Mom's to spend the day with her, my brother, my Sis and BIL and Krista!!!!! I know Christmas will always be a special time for Abby and Krista to be together. Bruce's parents will be in GA this year with his sister's family but most years I am sure they will be a part of the Christmas Eve or Day festivities.
We have also incorporated the use of the advent wreath into our family worship time - to anticipate of the celebration of the coming of Christ as the focus of the Holiday.

We'll adopt a needy family each year and try to make it about giving to others and not "ME! ME! ME!"
This year Abby is getting one gift from us - A Plush Nativity set that she can play with - We'll probably always just do one "Big" gift and *attempt* to make the focus of the day about Christ and giving to others and being with family.
No comments:
Post a Comment